“A Sustainable process meets the needs of the present without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs."
Islands Chocolate teams up with our sister company, St Vincent Cocoa, by growing fine flavour cocoa on the beautiful island of St Vincent, Caribbean.
We are dedicated to creating an inclusive and sustainable long-term approach to the cocoa supply chain in St Vincent by:
1) Only growing the best quality, high yielding, fine flavoured cocoa varieties.
2) Grown in an agroforestal system using good agricultural practices and developed on sustainable agricultural principles.
3) Ensuring it is 100% traceable.
4) Ethically sourced.
5) Providing plants, advice, support, training to farmers free of charge.
6) Providing financial security to farmers via guaranteed off-take contracts for their cocoa as well as financial aid for pruning and fertilising with interest free loans. We also encourage intercropping during the first few years until the cocoa becomes viable on its own.
8) Rigorous waste management and 100% recycling when possible.
9) Transforming the cocoa into chocolate at origin to add value to the local economy by supplying more jobs.