These homemade choccy granola bars have no added sugar. They are vegan, gluten free and royally rich with flavour.
Makes 10-12 bars.
- 5 Unpitted dates
- 1 cup (250 ml) Boiling water
- 1 Ripe Banana
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) Coconut oil + 1 teaspoon
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking soda
- 2 3/4 cups (250g) Gluten free oats
- 1/3 cup (60g) Islands Chocolate Buttons - I used Islands 75% buttons, but if you want to make the recipe entirely sugar free, try using Islands 100% chocolate buttons. If you want slightly less rich, try using Islands 65% chocolate buttons.
- 1/4 cup (45g) More Islands Chocolate to melt and drizzle on top - I used Islands Rhythm of the Night 100% chocolate bar.
- 2 tablespoons agave or maple syrup / honey.
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds.
- Pinch pink salt
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F)
- Place the dates in a bowl and cover with the boiling water and leave to soak for at leas 5 minutes. After the dates are done soaking, drain the water and place the dates in a blender or food processor with the banana, 1/4 cup melted coconut oil, vanilla extract and baking soda. Blend until smooth.
- Pour the banana-date mixture into a large mixing bowl. Add the oats and the mini chocolate buttons, and stir until well combined.
- Place the mixture into a greased 8×8 inch or 8×10 inch baking dish, and bake for 25 minutes until golden and firm. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- In the meantime, melt the other lot of Islands chocolate bar / buttons with one teaspoon of coconut oil. Once melted, drizzle all over the bars (I say drizzle, but I just poured it all over, with no fancy technique at all).
- Allow the chocolate to set before slicing. Store in an airtight container up to 5 days.
Challenge: only eat one bar a day. Impossible.