Thanks to Lily (@lilylykkes) from London’s 100% all natural bakery Cutter and Squidge (@cutterandsquidge) for making these perfectly balanced combination of sweet & savoury flavoured treats using Islands dark chocolate buttons.
350g plain flour
250g caster sugar
2 tsp baking powder
2tsp mixed spice, ginger and cinnamon
2 oranges, zested
50g flaked almonds
100g almonds, chopped
100g Islands Dark Chocolate buttons melted, for dipping
- Heat oven to 180 degrees and line a baking tray with baking parchment paper.
- Put the flour, caster sugar, baking powder and spices into a bowl and mix until combined.
- Add the beaten eggs, one at a time, along with the orange zest and mix until it forms a dough - when it gets to this stage, start kneading it with your hands to prevent floury patches. Add the almonds and 150g dark chocolate and work them in with your hands until evenly distributed through the mixture.
- Turn the dough onto a floured surface and divide into 2 pieces. Roll each piece into a sausage shape, around 20 - 30cm long. Place the 2 doughs on the baking tray, evenly spaced, and bake for 25 - 30 minutes, until the dough has risen and is beginning to feel firm.
- Remove the Biscotti from the oven and leave to cool slightly, whilst turning down the oven temperature to 140 degrees.
- Using a bread knife, slice the dough into thick slices, around 1cm thick on the diagonal, then lay each piece flat on the baking tray and bake again on the lower temperature for 15 minutes. Turn over each piece and bake the other side for another 15 minutes, until it is dry and golden.
- Once baked, leave to cool completely on a wire rack.
- Whilst the Biscotti is cooling, melt the 100g dark chocolate over a low heat and dip half of the Biscotti biscuits into the melted chocolate and leave to dry on the wire rack.