140g unsalted butter
130g dark brown soft sugar
90g caster sugar
3g Maldon salt
250g plain flour
3g baking powder
4g baking soda
180g Islands 65% Chocolate Cooking Buttons
- Using a stand mixer add you butter into the bowl and mix until creamed (if mixing by hand wait until the butter is room-temperature)
- Add in both sugars and salt
- Beat in egg until combined
- Sift and mix together the dry ingredients
- Add the dry ingredients to your butter mixture then fold through the chocolate. Mix for a short amount of time (where flour can still be visible in the batter) to prevent over working the flour which creates a tougher cookie
- Weigh into 30g portions and roll the batter into balls. You don't want to be holding the dough for long at this stage as the fats will start to heat up in the dough and it will become sticky.
- Refrigerate overnight or flash freeze for at least 3 hours (raw dough can be kept in the fridge for 2 days or 2 weeks in the freezer). This allows the dry ingredients to soak up the fats so the mixture holds its shape and prevents the butter escaping out which will leave you with a thin, chewy cookie.
- After, cook at 160C fan 2 for 12-14 minutes until lightly golden.