Thanks to Shweta Agrawal (@merrytummy) for including this festival recipe in her stunning review of Islands Chocolate on her blog - Merry Tummy.
Shweta lists the reasons you must try this recipe:
Why should you try this recipe
Takes only 5 minutes to make
No added sugar
No added fat such as butter, ghee, oil or cream
Contains goodness of nuts
Crowd pleaser, looks so beautiful that no one will believe its homemade
A great gifting idea
1 cup dates
1 tablespoon white sesame seeds
6 pieces of Islands 100%, 60% or 85% Dark chocolate
6 pieces of Islands 55% milk chocolate
- Deseed the dates and chop finely. Also chop almonds, cashews and pistachios in smaller chunks.
- Chop three pieces of each milk chocolate and dark chocolate.
- Heat pan on a medium heat and roast sesame seeds for 1 minute untill you get the nutty aroma.
- Add dates in the same pan and keep stirring it. You will see that initially it is very difficult to stir dates but as dates starts releasing moisture it will become easier. Around 1 minute.
- Add chopped cashews and almonds and keep stirring. Also add chocolate pieces that you did not chop and let it melt with the mixture. Keep stirring for 1 minute till you feel mixture is mixed well.
- Let the mixture cool down a bit. When you are able to tolerate the heat on your palms, mix chopped chocolate in it. Chocolate might start melting but that’s okay, some chunks will remain.
- Divide the mixture into two parts and shape it into a log. Roll the logs on the chopped pistachios.
- Place the log on an aluminium foil. Wrap it tightly. And set it in the refrigerator for 2 hours to set.
- After 2 hours, remove the foil and cut them into ½ cm thick round disc.
- Extra Note - Feel free to add any kinds of nuts or seeds in the recipe such as walnut, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, and pecan nuts.