Try these juicy chicken tacos by Caleb Cambridge (@calebcambridge) for a fresh take on midweek supper or a zesty centrepiece for your next dinner party.
1.2kg boneless & skinless chicken thighs
900ml good quality chicken stock
500ml orange juice
750g sliced onions
200g almond flakes
6 garlic cloves
4 tsp cumin
4 tsp coriander seeds
1.5 tsp oregano
3 red chilli (seeds removed if you don’t want it too spicy)
100g Islands chocolate 100% buttons
Any vegetables (onions and tomato work great)
- Add little oil to a large deep frying pan and start to brown off the chicken thighs. Once they have a deep brown colour, add the chicken stock followed by the orange juice. Cover the pan and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, sauté your onions on high heat until golden brown. Reduce the heat and add the almonds, garlic, cumin and coriander seeds and cook until the almonds are golden brown (about 2 mins). Add the chilli and cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the liquid and put to one side, adding the chicken stock to your onion mix. Add the raisins and oregano to your pan and simmer for 30 minutes. Remove from the heat and add your chocolate, mixing until completely melted. Leave this to cool for 10 - 15 minutes.
- Now blend the sauce. Season it to your preference and add the shredded chicken. I highly recommend letting this sit overnight to allow the flavours to develop.
- Heat the mixture back up and serve with warm tortillas and any toppings you fancy.