A Caleb Cambridge (@calebcambridge) classic hot chocolate recipe that packs a punch and is completely homemade, right down to the marshmallows.
Marshmallows13 leaves of gelatine
700g white caster sugar
1.5 tbsp liquid glucose
1 tsp vanilla essence or 1 vanilla pod
3 egg whites (large)
150g icing sugar
6 tbsp cornflour
Hot chocolate100g Islands 70% Hot Chocolate Buttons
2 tbsp dark brown sugar
2 tbsp Islands cocoa powder
500ml milk + 2 tbsp
60ml spiced rum
2 tsp cornflour
1. Put the gelatine into a large bowl and cover with water to soften it. Now place the caster sugar, liquid glucose and 300ml of water into a high sided pan and heat to 130c (be extremely careful when working with hot sugar) This can be tested by dropping some of the sugar into a bowl of water if the sugar syrup is still clear, holds shape and is pliable it’s ready! Preferably use a sugar thermometer
2. While the sugar is coming up to temperature put the egg whites into a mixer and whisk till they form a
3. Now your sugar is up to 130c take it off the heat and squeeze all the excess water out the gelatine, then whisk it into your sugar syrup (be careful).
4. Using a jug pour the sugar and gelatine mix into the peaked egg white while mixing (medium speed on your kitchen mixer) Once all combined and looking fluffy keep mixing for 8 to 10 mins until its really thick.
5. Line a rectangular tray 25cm x 35cm with cling film. Mix the icing sugar and cornflour together and sift 1/3 of the mix into the tray, now pour your marshmallow mix into the tray and leave to cool for 2 to 4 hours.
6. When cooled put some baking paper on your worktop sieve another 1/3 of the icing sugar mix and turn the marshmallow out on the side, with a knife covered in your icing sugar mix cut cubes and dust completely with the last 1/3 of icing sugar. Store in an airtight container lined with baking paper.
1. Add the milk, cocoa powder and sugar into a pan bringing this to a gentle simmer.
2. Meanwhile, put your cornflour into a bowl and mix with the 2 tbsp spare milk.
3. Now your milk is simmering add the cornflour mix and whisk to thick and smooth. Add your chocolate continuing to whisk gently till its melted.
4. Throw in the spiced rum and cook for 3 to 5 mins, you can adjust the consistency with milk (but I used extra rum) Serve and enjoy with your marshmallows!