This funky monkey nice cream is vegan, guilt-free and very creamy.
Using Islands Chocolate and Bali's finest vanilla from Zazou Emporium Vanilla (@zazouemporiumvanilla), the flavours make it a heavenly gourmet alternative ice cream, the perfect companion for a warm Islands brownie or even a festive mince pie.
280g (2cups) raw cashews
4 ripe bananas
1 vanilla bean from Zazou Emporium Vanilla
1/8 tsp fine sea salt
140ml pure maple syrup or raw honey
1 tbsp melted coconut oil
1/2 tsp freshly squeeze lemon juice
70g (1/2 cup) chopped raw walnuts
75g (1/2 cup) Islands 75% or 100% for richer dark chocolate buttons or chopped up bars - I mixed it up.
1. Soak the cashews for at least 4 hours, or overnight. Drain and rinse.
2. Peel bananas & break them into chunks. Put the chunks in a plastic bag and freeze until ready to use, at least 4 hours. Remove them about 10 minutes before making the ice cream.
3. Combine the cashews & 112ml (1/2 cup) water in a blender & blend on high speed until completely smooth (this may take a couple of minutes).
4. Slice the vanilla bean lengthwise down the centre, using your knife, scrape the seeds into the blender. Add frozen banana chunks, cashew cream, sea salt, maple syrup/honey, coconut oil & lemon juice. Blend on highest setting until completely smooth.
5. Taste for sweetness - it will taste less sweet when frozen so go sweeter.
6. Fold in the walnuts and chocolate.
7. Pour into a glass or metal container & freeze for at least 4 hours.
8. To serve, remove ice cream 5-10 minutes before enjoying so it is easy to scoop.